A book review blog created to share one person's thoughts on books of multiple genres.
A little more about me
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
With a new blog one must take the time to introduce themselves. 😀
I've worked in museums and libraries since 2012 and have been a librarian/branch manager at several different public libraries since 2018. As a librarian I feel I am partly expected to have some kind of literary influencer presence outside of work.
During the pandemic a group of random women banded together and created the blog With A Book In Our Hands. Someone sponsored the domain name and we flooded social media on a weekly basis. We covered all genres and it was pretty remarkable. Sadly, as time went by, the enthusiasm for the blog waned and we lost several of our founding members. That, coupled with an exorbitant amount of technical issues, inclined me to think about taking the lead on my own blog.
I am fortunate that in my position I have been able to host virtual author chats with some AMAZING authors. Debut authors, USA Today bestselling authors, New York Times bestselling authors, and internationally published authors have all been gracious with their time in permitting me to interview them. Most of the videos can be found through the Pamunkey Regional Library's YouTube channel. I've included the link to the International Women's Day chat with Melanie Benjamin, Stephanie Dray, and Lauren Willig, and the chat with Kate Quinn and Heather Webb.
I have been a guest on Susanne Dunlap's podcast itsjusthistorical.com. She declared me a super librarian and I kind of love it!
My reviews have been featured on NetGalley, Library Reads, on author's websites, and have been used for cover quotes.
This blog will feature any book I want. Some books may be several years old. I read multiple genres so posts will hopefully appeal to readers of all.
I will rate books with 🍷 or 👢because I can. I hope you'll join me on the journey.
Vincent's Women Donna Russo Pub. Date: March 26, 2024 by Next Chapter Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Summary: Donna Russo's 'Vincent's Women' is the untold story of Vincent's loves, how they shaped his life, his art, and his death. It writes against the ‘myths,’ exploring the possibility that none of them are true. It is the only novel to bring into question his sexuality, how he lost his ear, who he lost it for, and how he might have died, all through the eyes of a woman. We learn of Her; we learn all of it through Her. The story is guided by Johanna van Gogh Bonger, Vincent's sister-in-law, as she decides to reveal the truth about Vincent to her son. We are then taken on a journey through Vincent's life, each section bringing a pivotal moment of Vincent's life alive while showing us the part she played in bringing it about. Between each woman, our guide, Johanna, gives us the transitional periods, right up to his death, which is now in q...
The Death of Us Lori Rader-Day Publication Date: October 3, 2023 by William Morrow Genre: Mystery Rating: 4 👢👢👢👢 Summary: From the award-winning author of Death at Greenway and The Lucky One comes a chilling suspense novel in which the discovery of a submerged car in a murky pond reveals betrayals and family secrets that will tear a small town apart. One rainy night fifteen years ago, a knock at the door changed Liss Kehoe’s life forever. On that night, Ashley Hay stood on Liss’s front porch and handed over her brand-new baby Callan. She was never seen or heard from again. Since then, Liss has raised Callan as her own, and loves him as fiercely as any mother would. But in the back of her mind, she’s always wondered whether Ashley is still out there somewhere—and feared what might happen if she comes back. When Ashley does reappear, it’s not in the way Liss expected. After all these years, Ashley’s car has been found…in the quarry pond on Kehoe property. But the discovery of t...
The Phoenix Crown Kate Quinn and Janie Chang Pub. date: Feb. 13, 2024 by William Morrow Paperbacks Historical Fiction 4 👢👢👢👢 Summary: From bestselling authors Janie Chang and Kate Quinn, a thrilling and unforgettable narrative about the intertwined lives of two wronged women, spanning from the chaos of the San Francisco earthquake to the glittering palaces of Versailles. San Francisco, 1906. In a city bustling with newly minted millionaires and scheming upstarts, two very different women hope to change their fortunes: Gemma, a golden-haired, silver-voiced soprano whose career desperately needs rekindling, and Suling, a petite and resolute Chinatown embroideress who is determined to escape an arranged marriage. Their paths cross when they are drawn into the orbit of Henry Thornton, a charming railroad magnate whose extraordinary collection of Chinese antiques includes the fabled Phoenix Crown, a legendary relic of Beijing’s fallen Summer Palace. His patronage offers Gemma and ...
Comments
Post a Comment