The Cloisters


The Cloisters
Katy Hays
Publication date: November 1, 2022 by Atria Books
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Rating: 4 👢👢👢👢






Summary: When Ann Stilwell arrives in New York City, she expects to spend her summer working as a curatorial associate at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Instead, she finds herself assigned to The Cloisters, a gothic museum and garden renowned for its medieval art collection and its group of enigmatic researchers studying the history of divination.
Desperate to escape her painful past, Ann is happy to indulge the researchers’ more outlandish theories about the history of fortune telling. But what begins as academic curiosity quickly turns into obsession when Ann discovers a hidden 15th-century deck of tarot cards that might hold the key to predicting the future. When the dangerous game of power, seduction, and ambition at The Cloisters turns deadly, Ann becomes locked in a race for answers as the line between the arcane and the modern blurs.
A haunting and magical blend of genres, The Cloisters is a gripping debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

My thoughts: I LOVE the Cloisters and have been there several times. There is something so surreal about the place. When I heard about this book I was ecstatic! I was equally tickled to get an advance copy through work. Being a librarian does occasionally have its perks 😊 
I thoroughly enjoyed the attention to detail that the author provided in describing the Cloisters itself. I was fully able to visualize myself standing beneath those gothic arches again. The relationships between the characters is what drove the story forward. It was evident early on that Ann was one who had many insecurities about her self-worth and who had a hard time moving forward in life. With a lack of confidence it was easy for her to fall under the spell of the overly confident Rachel and the seemingly charismatic Patrick. The intensity of the research and the undercurrent of unspoken secrets meant that Leo was a welcome break from the stress.
I wish I could say that this book was unputdownable but I can't. It took me just over two weeks to read 320 pages. I did enjoy it, and I do feel like it was a good book, but it didn't compel me to abandon other things to finish it. The plot unraveled at to slow of a pace for me. The twists at the end summarized things quite nicely. They were both shocking and expected at the same time. 

Many thanks to the publisher for providing me with an advance copy of this title. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunflowers Beneath the Snow

Madame Pommery, Creator of Brut Champagne